In order to increase awareness and about youth drug addiction and the services provided at the Portage Elora rehabilitation centre, Portage residents and staff members are often out visiting schools and organisations in surrounding communities.
Speaking engagements at schools are generally the most impactful, as Portage residents share their personal stories with an often younger audience, hoping to make a difference and prevent others from going down the negative path that they have worked so hard to come back from.
Portage Ontario’s speaking engagements and outreach initiatives done in the last quarter of 2016 include:
• Probation Officers Association of Ontario (POAO) Conference
• Halton Catholic School Board outreach (Grades 8, 9, 10, and 11)
• Alexandre Mackenzie School outreach (York Region District School Board)
• Portage youth speaking engagements at a shelter in Guelph
• Information sessions for Nippissing, Parry Sound and Sarnia Lambton CAS offices
• School outreach in Waterloo-Wellington area (Grades 7 and 8)
• Central Region outreach to probation officers and youth mental health court workers
• Guelph Community Foundation Breakfast session